METAL GEAR SOLID.NET

For all you need to know about the Metal Gear series!

Forums

Forum Home > Nothing but Metal Gear! > New main character?

"Liquid Snake"
Site Owner

Solid Snake is Konami's trademark main playable character, right? And unlike the Simpsons, he's actually been getting older since his debut in 1987 (strange to think they've both been around the same amount of time!) I know characters in the series don't often die a normal death, but he can't keep going on, and yet everyone loves him so. It was pretty good that Naked Snake is almost a substitute for Solid Snake himself, as it meant an entire game could have a different but almost indistinguishable main character.

Now, who can forget the warm welcome Raiden got when he showed her his face on the screen for the first time? Hahaha! I don't think many people want to play as him again, but like I said, we can't depend on Snake forever, and I hope MGS isn't reaching the end of its life. SO! To get to the point, what would people think if Kojima (or whoever else, if he ever does retire, like he keeps saying he will - bit like Snake himself in that respect, huh?) then what if the next game had someone like Ocelot as its main character??? And he's on his last legs now surely, so a prequel, not a sequel. Wouldn't it be weird? But would it be good? Would people wanna play it? OK, so I'm waffling. Just an idea. If you've read this far, congrats, and gimme your feedback on a game where you play as someone else like Ocelot, Meryl or even Johnny Sasaki!

December 21, 2008 at 9:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BBMSteve

I never thought I'd say this after MGS2, but I'd quite like to know more about Raiden, especially what happened to him between MGS2 and MGS4. I've heard rumours that Johnny could be the new main character, too, which, I suppose, wouldn't be all that bad. I'd also like to see more of Meryl...

--

Shut your mouth, pussycat, e fammi un macchiato, pronto!

December 27, 2008 at 4:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BBMSteve

As I was saying to Liquid last night, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was announced at E3, TGS or Leipzig this year that the next MG will be a remake of the original Metal Gear. Kojima has been interested in exploring Solid Snake's past for some while now (just think of MGS3 and MPO, and even the re-release of the original games on mobile phones), and MG and MG2 are still very much parts of Snake's past with which many gamers and even MGS fans are still unfamiliar. And I count myself in that number. So maybe we won't be getting a new lead character after all...

--

January 6, 2009 at 7:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lt.Captain

I'm assuming that the next game will be Metal Gear 3: Revolver Ocelot for the PSP- wherein I'd assume you play as Ocelot.

However, personaly I'd love to see more into Solid Snake in the original few missions in Fox Hound, especially with Hayter's voice and 12 hours of cutscenes. If they combined MG 1 and 2 and added some more content it would be perfect. Plus I'd like to see MG go back to being less complicated... noisy footsteps and things always bothered me... and the Camo thing took away from the games, I thought. I prefered straight-up hiding behind shit. MGS2:S VR missions FTW.

PLUS we haven't seen an official (Twin Snakes doesn't count) high quality render of Solid Snake any younger than on the Tanker.

January 29, 2009 at 1:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

"Liquid Snake"
Site Owner

I agree - bring back the originals! Let's get some PS3 quality, David Hayter filled sneaking action in Outer Heaven and Zanzibar Land! It'd also be nice to see Snake looking so much younger and less battered by war. A fresh face, but more masculine than Raiden's. It'd then be interesting to play through the games chronologically from start to finish and watch as Snake gets more scarred by what he experiences.

As for playing as Ocelot, that'd be amazing too, but I suppose the problem with playing a game as an antagonist is that you are destined to lose the game if it's going to make sense. Then again, Ocelot doesn't die so perhaps it could work... Hmm, I'll be interested to know what Konami do next but fingers crossed for a remake!

January 29, 2009 at 11:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BBMSteve

I have to disagree on the idea of playing as Ocelot. I feel that villains like this only really work as non-playable characters. As you have pointed out, Liquid, antagonists are bound to end up failing (something which happens many times in his encounters with Snake), and that just doesn't lend itself well to a video game. People play video games to succeed; not to fail. Besides that, I feel that the Metal Gear Solid series is just as much about Ocelot as it is about Snake and Big Boss: all of the games, from MGS through MGS4, have focused on Ocelot's development as the chief antagonist, just like they have focused on Snake's role as the legendary hero. As such, I'm not really convinced that Ocelot has that much left to give in terms of character; we pretty much know exactly what he's about.

As I've said previously, I'd love more Snake (MG and MG2 remakes, please!) and I'd also like to know more about Raiden - past or future. Even though Raiden was really badly received in MGS2, I feel that as a character he has an awful lot to give.

Coming to Tai's point about making the next game a little less complicated, I have to agree. When you think about it, it does seem a little unlikely that someone like Snake would even bother with face camo on missions like these. You can just imagine it: Snake emerges from the jungle into a clearing where an enemy base is located. As the area is heavily guarded by enemy sentries and Snake's current camo would not help him blend into the scenery as effectively, he stops by the gates and breaks open the Clarins make-up remover before applying a red brick effect make-up. Once inside the base, he notices that the walls have a green and pink floral pattern wallpaper, so Snake strips down to his boxer shorts and pulls out of his suitcase a new outfit seemingly made from an old pair of curtains which matches almost perfectly the base's interior decor. Unfortunately, although he's dressed absolutely fabulously considering he's on a sneaking mission in deepest, darkest Africa, whilst applying the final pink roses to his face make-up, Snake is spotted by an enemy soldier and is shot dead.

Erm...yes. Anyway, my point is that it just wouldn't happen and is completely unnecessary. The Octocamo was nice for MGS4's future setting, but obviously that wouldn't work in remake of MG. I quite agree that MGS needs to forget about camouflage and put the emphasis firmly back on good, old-fashioned, well-timed sneaking.

--

January 30, 2009 at 12:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lt.Captain

I think there's a great deal of secrecy around Raiden, Ocelot and Frank Jaeggar... whether any of them become main characters, the new game will have to explore them more thoroughly.

January 30, 2009 at 3:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

"Liquid Snake"
Site Owner

Not sure how good a game it'd be but imagine you played Solid Snake in normal everyday environments. Mission one: along the lines of Supermarket Sweep - collect all the items on your shopping list and get to a queue quickly so that you don't miss the bus back! As I said, not a gripping plotline, but perhaps more of a 3+ platformer. Well I'd play it anyway...

--

"I won't die so long as you still live..."

Liquid

January 31, 2009 at 5:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BBMSteve

Next time you're at the checkout and you hear the beep, think of the fun you could be having on Thuuuuuuuupermarket Thweeeeep!

--

January 31, 2009 at 5:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lt.Captain

Lt.Captain at 03:30PM on Jan 30, 2009

I think there's a great deal of secrecy around Raiden, Ocelot and Frank Jaeggar... whether any of them become main characters, the new game will have to explore them more thoroughly.

*Ring ring*

"Otacon... I've been spotted sneaking 11 items into the '10 items or less' checkout. I don't think I'll be making it out of here alive..."

... crab battle.

--

Big Boss Emblem

Lt.Captain, EX3+

C+(713) LVL 12, Instructor 12th Generation

Rank: None (Ex-WaterBear, Ex-Tsushinoko, Ex-Night Owl, Ex-Rat)

January 31, 2009 at 10:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BBMSteve

People who do that piss me off... mad

--

February 6, 2009 at 7:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BBMSteve

"mad"? Why don't the emoticons work? Liquiiiid!!!

--

February 6, 2009 at 7:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

"Liquid Snake"
Site Owner

Shops that have the word 'less' make me mad! mad

--

Liquid

February 8, 2009 at 1:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

"Liquid Snake"
Site Owner

Nope, emoticons don't work for me either. :(

February 8, 2009 at 1:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lt.Captain

Snap.

February 11, 2009 at 3:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

"Liquid Snake"
Site Owner
:):|:(:D:o;):/:Plolmadrolleyescool
--

Liquid

February 20, 2009 at 4:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

BBMSteve

Oh darctar!

--

February 20, 2009 at 3:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

CodenameLiquid

Lt.Captain at 01:12AM on Jan 29, 2009

I'm assuming that the next game will be Metal Gear 3: Revolver Ocelot for the PSP- wherein I'd assume you play as Ocelot.

However, personaly I'd love to see more into Solid Snake in the original few missions in Fox Hound, especially with Hayter's voice and 12 hours of cutscenes. If they combined MG 1 and 2 and added some more content it would be perfect. Plus I'd like to see MG go back to being less complicated... noisy footsteps and things always bothered me... and the Camo thing took away from the games, I thought. I prefered straight-up hiding behind shit. MGS2:S VR missions FTW.

PLUS we haven't seen an official (Twin Snakes doesn't count) high quality render of Solid Snake any younger than on the Tanker.

Metal Gear Soild 4
Young Snake face camo

Not perfect i know, but middle ground for higher quality and younger Snake

February 20, 2009 at 3:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BBMSteve

CodenameLiquid at 03:22PM on Feb 20, 2009

Lt.Captain at 01:12AM on Jan 29, 2009

Metal Gear Soild 4
Young Snake face camo

Not perfect i know, but middle ground for higher quality and younger Snake

Good point!

--

February 20, 2009 at 3:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lt.Captain

Very True. I hadn't thought of that.

His young facecamo though looks more like the face he SHOULD have at 42 though... as opposed to the one he had at 33 at Shadow Moses.

February 22, 2009 at 9:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.